Skip to Main Content

Tuition & Financial Aid

Welcome to Wake Forest University School of Professional Studies, Office of Financial Aid. 

We are committed to helping students achieve their educational goals by providing financial assistance through veterans educational benefits, employer tuition reimbursement, scholarships, federal, and private loan programs. Regardless of how you choose to finance your professional degree, please know that we are here to assist you throughout the process.

Paying for school

Earning a graduate professional degree or certificate is a significant investment in your personal and professional development. The School of Professional Studies is committed to making your education attainable and affordable. Our varied financial options, including federal aid and scholarships ensures you have every opportunity to complete your graduate degree.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I know if I qualify for financial aid?

    WFU School of Professional Studies students are encouraged to submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which determines eligibility for federal loan programs. To qualify, you must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, have been accepted into a degree program, and plan to attend at least half-time (three or more credit hours) each semester.

  • What is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?

    The FAFSA is the application that the Department of Education uses to determine if a student is eligible to receive federal student aid to fund their undergraduate and graduate programs.

  • Do students need their parents’ tax information to complete the FAFSA?

    Students applying to graduate school do not need their parents’ information to complete the FAFSA.

  • When can I begin the student loan application process?

    Student can begin the application process at any time after October 1st by completing the FAFSA online at

  • Do students need to fill out the FAFSA each year?

    Yes. Eligibility for federal student aid does not carry over from one award year to the next. Students will need to complete the FAFSA for each award year in which they are or plan to be enrolled.

  • Are Federal Unsubsidized Direct Loans guaranteed for all students?

    All U.S citizens and permanent residents are eligible for Direct Loan funding. Graduate/Professional students must be enrolled in at least half-time (3.0 credit hours) in order to be eligible for Federal Direct Loan funds.

  • Do I have to borrow the maximum loan amounts?

    Students will be offered the maximum loan amount they are eligible to receive. We encourage students to borrow just what they need. Standard financial aid offers are split over the fall and spring terms. If you plan on taking class(es) in the summer, you will want to account for this when accepting your loan offer. We can reallocate funding not utilized during the fall/spring to the summer.

  • Does interest start accrue on the full loan amount immediately?

    Interest accrues only on the cumulative loan amounts you have received. You may choose to pay accrued interest or allow the interest to be capitalized.

  • Do students have to repay their loans while they are in school?

    A student’s federal loans will be in deferment status while they are enrolled at least half-time, and repayment begins six months after they have completed their program or dropped their enrollment status to less than half-time.

  • Will I know the details of my financial aid offer before I submit the enrollment deposit?

    Not entirely. For estimated loans, students should anticipate being eligible to borrow the maximum Federal Unsubsidized Direct Loan amounts as long as they meet the basic eligibility requirements. Student can also review Private Educational Loan options to determine the best program for covering the remaining amount of their tuition/fee and living expenses.

  • Am I eligible to borrow loan funding for living expenses?

    Yes. Financial aid budgets, referred to as Cost of Attendance, include updated cost of living estimates for students. A student’s total financial aid award may not exceed the Cost of Attendance.

  • What are the steps for applying for a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan?

    • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) 
    • Complete Loan Entrance Counseling 
    • Complete the Promissory Note for the Subsidized/Unsubsidized Direct Loan 

  • Are certificate program students eligible for financial aid?

    At this time, only students enrolled in a degree seeking program are eligible for financial aid. However, private loans are available for those students pursuing a certificate. Please go to to view the list of lenders.  

  • How do I calculate the total Cost of Attendance?

    The total amount of aid awarded annually is based on the Cost of Attendance (COA) for your program, which consists of the following: 

    • Direct costs: Tuition 
    • Indirect costs: Books, Room/Board, Transportation, Personal expenses 

    Total COA figures for your program can be found here.

  • How can I access my financial aid and billing information through WIN and DEAC?

    The Wake Information Network (WIN) houses your personal information such as Financial Aid offers, grades, and class schedules. The site is password protected. You will receive information on setting up your WIN page after your enrollment deposit is received. The Deacon Electronic Account Center (DEAC) is accessible from WIN or the Students Financial Services home page.

    DEAC is an electronic billing system that allows students and authorized payers online access to your WFU account information for items such as tuition, fees, and financial aid credits (loans, scholarships, etc.). When accessing DEAC, use the “View and Pay Accounts” tab to see real-time information.

  • How is tuition billed?

    All billing is handled through Student Financial Services, which is separate from the Office of Financial Aid. Tuition and fee balances are billed every semester and are accessible through a student’s DEAC account. Students with questions about their bill, should contact Student Financial Services at 336.758.5234 or at 

  • Are monthly payment plans available?

    Yes, to learn more about payment plans, please go to 

  • How do I use my Veterans benefits?

    Veterans Educational BenefitsThe U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has approved Wake Forest University as an eligible institution at which students may use its Education Benefit Programs. The University has established a policy to meet the requirements of the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018 (Public Law 115-407), section 3679 of Title 38, U.S. Code as amended.

    Eligibility for Veteran’s benefits is assessed by the VA. Students eligible for Veteran Benefits should submit either an updated “Certificate of Eligibility” or Statement of Benefits. We advise students to visit the VA website or their local VA office to begin the process for obtaining a “Certificate of Eligibility” (COE) or a Statement of Benefits. The COE or Statement of Benefits can be submitted electronically to the School of Professional Studies Office of Financial Aid at The SPS Office of Financial Aid will electronically submit enrollment certification to the VA to initiate payments. 

    Students must be enrolled in a degree program and maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) to continue to use their benefits. 

    Students receiving VA educational benefits will be required to pay the difference between the amount owed on their student account and the amount of the VA education benefit disbursement within 10 days of the start of the term.

    For more information, visit:

  • How do I transfer my VA benefits from another school?

    If a student used their benefits at a previous college, they must submit a “Request for Change of Program or Place of Training” Form (22-1995A) to the VA. 

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is one of the criteria that a student must meet in order to remain eligible for financial assistance. SAP is made up of the following factors:

  • Meeting a minimum cumulative grade point average requirement (GPA).
  • Earning a minimum number of units for credit per semester.
  • Completing the degree objective within a maximum number of semesters enrolled and a maximum number of units attempted.

Students who do not meet the above factors are not eligible to receive federal financial aid, including student loans.